Monday 1 August 2016

11 Brilliant Outdoor Lighting Ideas

Confession: I have a thing for cafe lights. I know — it’s crazy, since these things are so ugly, they don’t add any ambiance whatsoever, and I’m totally lying. I like them as much as I wish every morning started with a huge pot of coffee and a basketful of puppies. And since I seem to not be the only one in blogland with a fondness for them and I’m planning on doing some major overhauling of the back yard soon, I have found quite a few ideas to ogle on an almost daily basis. Here are some of my favorite ways designers and bloggers have used them in their outdoor spaces.*

*Note: the pin-it button has been turned off on this post for most of these since they have original sources elsewhere; please click through to the individual project if you’d like to pin them!

11 brilliant outdoor lighting ideas

My sister bought me two sets of outdoor cafe lights last Christmas, but I’m pretty certain I’ll be adding to that number once my outdoor space is planned out. Chatfield Court did an excellent job in her tutorial for how to hang several strings of lights together in one space (and without it looking like a tangled mess of wires or extra hardware). Saving this!

deck-cafe-lights-chatfield

Most cafe lights are strung overhead, but my friends Jacque and Matt from The DIY Village changed things up and added some to their deck along the railing. I can imagine this adds a nice little glow at night!

Globe-String-Lights-DIYVillage

One of the things that I’m taking diligent notes on are how people create the posts that the lights hang from. I took out a bunch of trees last year, so I have fewer spots around the yard that are up high enough. Posts, poles, and hardware are going to play a big role in my own yard transformation (when the time comes, of course). Design, Dining and Diapers used metal poles and added a wooden topper for a little polish, while blue i style covered in extensive detail (my favorite kind of detail) how to plan for them (spacing, type, etc.).

Light-post-with-hook-and-decorative-piece-DDD

Blue i Style - How-To-Hang-String-Lights

And how cute are these? Alexis from Persia Lou added some sweet little tassels between each light, which in her words “definitely upped the magic factor.” Since these are paper, they won’t last as a permanent addition, but I’m keeping this idea in mind for the first party I throw outside.

tassel-string-lights-persialou

Most of the pictures I’ve found for cafe lights are strung underneath a ceiling or pergola, just like this patio makeover from Table and Hearth.

lovely etc ceiling

I am also digging smaller light projects, like this Anthro-inspired hurricane created by Sadie Seasongoods.

Anthro_metalwork_hurricane_Sadie_Seasongoods

Elizabeth Joan Designs only spent $30 on her patio makeover, but the lights are my favorite part. And that pegboard luminary is so clever! I think I’ll have to make a few of those myself.

backdrop on fence elizabethjoandesigns

In my case, I will need to probably do the pole version and figure out an interesting way to blend them into the surroundings. I am simply in awe of Brittany’s transformation to her patio. Her lights are installed with copper pipe… and you all know how partial I am to copper!

lit-up-patio-garden-party-at-night-PHG

Ultimately, I just want to create the kind of charm and cozy feeling that French Country Cottage did with her outdoor setup. Simply lovely… I just want to grab a blanket and a glass of wine and curl up.

FCC fall

Sometimes when I’m finding it difficult to get started on a big project, keeping my mind on some of the accessories I get to add at the end spurs me through the tedious parts. I’m sure I’ll be coming back to look at these ideas over and over until the back yard makeover is complete. Can’t wait to finally see these in my yard!

The post 11 Brilliant Outdoor Lighting Ideas appeared first on The Ugly Duckling House.

Website // Subscribe // Advertise // Twitter // Facebook // Google+



from The Ugly Duckling House http://www.uglyducklinghouse.com/11-brilliant-outdoor-lighting-ideas/

No comments:

Post a Comment