Wednesday 30 May 2018

DIY Wood Burned Roasting Sticks

These personalized wood-burned roasting sticks are great around the fire pit for toasting marshmallows.

As you guys saw in my last post, I’ve been coming up with a small series of projects on behalf of Bernzomatic, which has been ridiculously fun. Mainly because I get to burn things, and I’m not quite sure I’ve ever really gotten that out of my system since my first introduction with campfires in Girl Scouts (remember those little tin foil ovens and stuff???).

bernzomatic st500

At any rate, they sent me a little soldering iron, and I didn’t really have anything around inspiring me to use it until I realized that the opportunity was sitting directly in front of me as I made the charred wood s’mores tray; it’s also great for little wood burned designs! Today, I’m going to show you how I used this tool to personalize my store-bought roasting sticks.

diy wood burned roasting sticks = soldering iron tutorial

Here’s How to Make Them:

Tools:

Materials:

Begin with roasting sticks of your choosing; I ordered mine online, and they came with colorful caps. I like the idea of color, but these looked a little impersonal for my taste.

begin with roasting sticks

With a pair of cutting pliers, remove the colored plastic..

clip off colored plastic

removed plastic caps

In a well-ventilated area, allow the soldering iron to get nice and hot on its max setting. I used a small paver stone to rest my soldering iron on when heating up and cooling down.

rest on brick to cool

When ready to burn, hold the soldering iron so that your hands are free from getting too close to the heat, and begin the first burn design. I highly recommend starting with dots; they are easiest to learn from, so you can be more consistent with lines and shapes.

begin marking first burn

Next, get out your favorite colors of craft paint. In the time it takes to mix custom colors, the roasting sticks will likely be cool enough to paint.

mix custom colors for craft paint

I was happy with an organic look for this one, so I free-handed some stripes and wrap-around patterns.

paint with craft paint

For straight lines, I prefer painter’s tape.

straight line with painters tape

You can do the wood burn first and then the paint, or vice versa. With more complex designs, I found it much easier to do a light version first and then go over it with a deeper burn.

create light image to trace

Once the burn is cooled and the paint is dry, cover with a wood-safe finish (the handles shouldn’t really come in contact much with food, so this is just an overabundance of caution).

closeup finished handle - wood burnt roasting sticks

For just a few minutes of my time, it was well worth it to have a customized little set for entertaining! Before…

before - colorful but uninteresting and a little juvenile

And after!

after - more personalized roasting sticks for marshmallows and smores

They go great with my charred wood s’mores tray (another Bernzomatic project), don’t you think?

ready for marshmallows

This project can easily be enjoyed by the whole family. Older kids can design their own patterns, and you can let younger children paint after you burn the design for them. I picked my favorite, and even marked the end with a little heart.

colorful wood burned roasting sticks

Enjoy!

The post DIY Wood Burned Roasting Sticks appeared first on Ugly Duckling House.



from Ugly Duckling House https://www.uglyducklinghouse.com/diy-wood-burned-roasting-sticks/

No comments:

Post a Comment